- Junior Water Polo September 15th - please read
- Training Sunday 10th September
- Learners/Improvers Start of new Term - please read
- Summer 2017 Training Schedule
The Coaching Team
Our coaching team, headed by Ron Philpot
See below for information on our team of coaches.
Ron Philpot - Head Coach
Ron has been involved in at least 11 swimming clubs or fitness organisations and has served as Head Coach in at least seven of these. His talent at coaching can clearly be seen through his vast achievements from swimming representations and here are just a few:
- Head Coach South of England for many years
- South East Region England Talent Development Specialist on a number of occasions
- Members of the Great Britain Coaching Staff for a number of years.
- Head Sprint Coach England AASE Camp 2011
- Head Coach for Great Britain and England Teams at, San Diego 1997, World Cup Canada & USA in 1998, Athens 1998, Kellogg’s Frosties Challenge National Training Scheme 2000, 3 Nations 2001, 4 Nation’s 2002, European Junior Champs 2002
- British Junior Coach of the Year 1996
- Certificate of Merit by the BSCA
- The Eastern Group Sports Coach of the year
- Surrey County Coach of the Year
- BSCA Certificate of Achievement in placing a swimmer on The Great Britain Olympic Team Sydney 2000
- BSCA Certificate of Achievement in placing a swimmer on The Great Britain Olympic Team Athens 2004
- BSCA Certificate of Achievement in placing a swimmer on The Great Britain Commonwealth Games Team Manchester
So what has Ron achieved over the years?
- First British Coach to have a male swimmer go sub 50 sec for the 100m Freestyle Long Course and only the 2nd Britain to go sub 23 for 50m Freestyle.
- Placed Swimmers on European Junior GB Teams 2012.
- Placed Swimmers on The Commonwealth Games Teams for England, Wales & Scotland
- Coached Swimmers to European Gold, Silver & Bronze Medals.
- Placed Swimmer on the Cameroon National Swimming Team 2011.
- Coached Senior Silver Medallist European Championships
- Coached World Student Games Gold Medallist
- Placed Swimmers in World Top 25 Rankings
- Coached a number of top internationals in Pentathlons, Triathlon & Biathlons to European, World & National Championships.
- Coached Swimmers to National, Region and County Record Times
- Placed Swimmers on a number of International Teams from around the World.
- Placed Swimmers on Great Britain Open Water Team
- Placed Athletes on the British Modern Pentathlon Team
Jason Nightingale - Assistant to Head Coach
Jason comes from a competitive swimming background, with the sport taking a primary place in his life through to adulthood, which it continues to in his role as a coach.
Originally a member of Crawley Swimming Club he moved to East Grinstead SC for the remainder of his competitive swimming years, reaching County level and branching out into Lifesaving, including Open Water, and later into teaching and coaching.
He began teaching and coaching voluntarily after qualifying as a swim teacher at the age of 16, until leaving competition himself in 1992. A few years later he was invited to join the Edenbridge SC as a primary coach in 1996, continuing in the role until taking on the position of Head Coach shortly before moving to Crawley SC in October 2012.
Jason has now been teaching and coaching for over 30 years, not only in the Sussex area but also for a Preparatory School programme and working in the United States. He operates an independent Swim School in East Grinstead and ran independent Competitive Swim Camps during his time at Edenbridge SC.
His philosophy has always been to promote a positive and enjoyable learning experience for all swimmers, whether a beginner or top level competitor, helping to generate athletes with a positive and motivated attitude to the sport which can also help them in all other areas of their lives.